Before play commences
1. Make sure that you know the rules of the competition
2. Ensure that you have the necessary equipment, e,g. pen,score card chalk, measure and wedges.
3. Introduce yourself to the competitors and enter their names on the score card.
4. Establish which bowls belong to which player.
5. Indicate that you will only answer direct questions from the player who has possession of the rink,
and that you intend to mark or indicate touchers as soon as the bowl comes to rest.
1. Ensure that the mat is properly placed and that the jack is centred at a legal distance from the front
of the mat before the first to play, does play his bowl.
2. Remain still, behind and to the side of the rink while a bowl is being played,making sure that you do
not obstruct the boundary pegs or that your shadow falls on the jack.
3. Do not approach the head unless it is to mark a toucher, remove the chalk marks, indicate a toucher
or to answer questions.
4. Mark jack or touchers in the ditch. Remove dead bowls with the permission of the players and ask a
player if a "line" bowl is in or out.
5. Be as accurate as possible when giving distances between jack and bowls and if unsure which is the
shot when asked, say so.
6. Only measure shots when asked by the players. If you cannot decide or the players are undecided
call an Umpire. If bowls are likely to fall before or during a measure, use wedges.
7. Do not disturb or break up a head, this should be done by players or an Umpire.
8. Before marking the score card make sure you know which player has been awarded the shot or
9. Inform both players of the state of score at completion of every end.
After the game
1. Complete the score card and have it signed by both players before returning it to the appropriate
DO NOT CONGRATULATE PLAYERS UNTIL THE END OF THE GAME AND ABOVE ALL REMAIN IMPARTIAL.